Book Review: How to Sew a Button

2.10.2011

How to Sew a Button: And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew
by Erin Bried
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I expected to like this book much more than I did. I really agree on the overall premise. I think we could learn a lot and utilize our resources much better if we took a cue from the older generations. I know many women who can't sew a button.

One of the issues is with the writing style which is forcefully cheeky. Sometimes you find this forced humor funny and other times, annoying. Also, the book is peppered with illustrations of various retro women engaging in the tasks being explained, but what it really could have used are a few illustrations to clarify the more complicated instructions.

There is some very useful information in this book, but not any you wouldn't find through a google search in a much more clear and concise manner with pictures included.

Have YOU read this book?
If so, what did you think?

No comments: