Hey friends! I have gotten myself together this Olympics and I am planning a FAMILY OLYMPICS! For dinner we are having a Russian/Eastern European dish of Cabbage Rolls and rice.
12 large cabbage leaves
2 T. vegetable oil
- - -
1 t. salt (at least)
1/4 t. pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 t. dried thyme (or 1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme)
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/4 lb. ground beef
- - -
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. water
1 T. lemon juice
1. Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water and let stand until limp. (I core a head of cabbage and place core side down in a microwavable bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 4-5 minutes until outer leaves are pliable. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove leaves. You may have to repeat to get 12 leaves.)
2. Mix next 7 ingredients together and divide into 12 sections. Place one section of beef mixture in center of one cabbage leaf. Fold opposite edges of leaf over beef mixture and roll up. Fasten with toothpick or tie with dental floss.
3. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Brown cabbage rolls in oil.
4. Mix next 4 ingredients together. Pour over cabbage rolls.
5. Simmer on low for 90 minutes or cook in slow cooker on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours or until internal temp reaches 160*F.
Tonight our family will watch some of the Opening Ceremonies and then have our own Opening Ceremonies.
We are giving each child a blank flag. They can choose from three designs.
Each family member will design their flag and name their country. Then they can color this Olympic rings coloring page I made.
Over the course of the olympic games we are going to have a family event each night. We have small medals and it's gunna be tons of fun!!